2020 Word of Intention

My students are typing feverishly and I thought I would join in.  Each year I choose a word to live intentionally by.  It is better than a resolution because I never can keep those…except the resolution to never make resolutions.  I can manage that! 🙂

My word this year is appreciation.

I want to focus on appreciating even the tiniest little things.  I may have officially turned into an old lady, but just watching the hummingbirds buzzing and fighting in the garden gives me joy and I appreciate their craziness.

I want to appreciate my friends more and make more time to be with them outside of work.  I think I do an OK job of this already, but I want to do it more.  It is important to cultivate those relationships and share experiences with people who are close to you.  It is great to just be together and learn more about each other, appreciate what each person brings to the friendship and make awesome memories!

I already appreciate my family, but want to appreciate them more.  My mum and dad are amazing and supportive in everything I do.  I want a new kitchen…they are there!  I want bookcases (because my precious books have been trapped in boxes for over a year) and we go to the shops to get them over winter break.  Even the tiniest little thing like a new door stop…Dad will install it and I appreciate that.  I appreciate that we are making memories together that I treasure.  I will be doing more of this and showing my appreciation in the ways that I can.  I will get Mum more of her favourite flowers because then I can show that I appreciate everything she does for me.  I am grateful to have two very loving and wonderful parents!

A lot of people go through life and don’t see things that other people do.  Here at Hewes everyone has different responsibilities and roles.  There are some adjunct duties others don’t want to do but somebody takes them on.  I want to recognize this and appreciate these people more.  A simple thank you or note of gratitude goes a long way.  Showing appreciation also makes you have a more positive outlook on life because you are choosing to not focus on the negative and drag people down.  You are building people up and not only does it make them feel good but it makes you feel good too!

Appreciate is my word for 2020!