Flower Girl!

When I was seven years old I was a flower girl for the first and only time in my life. My aunt was getting married and she asked myself, my wee sister Sallie, and the only girl cousin we have (Patricia) to be in her bridal party.   She did not have any bridesmaids, just the three of us. The rules for bridal parties in Scotland are slightly different than in America. There does not have to be an adult as a bridesmaid. The wee posy of flowers that I held contained a lot of freesia. This has always been one of my mum’s favourite flowers. They smell delicious. I now have them growing in my garden too. Every time I catch a whiff of these perfumed blossoms, I travel back to 1982 and my aunt’s wedding day. I even still have some of the flowers because I have a flower press and saved some of the blooms from the wee posy. I looked at them not that long ago. The smell has gone but they still retain their colour.

One of my favourite moments of that wedding day was when we were all dancing. I ran across the dance floor and leapt into the arms of Jim, the best man. I don’t remember the song that was playing, but do remember that he swung me around. I never saw Jim again, and only remember that he was tall and had curly dark blond hair.

At the end of the night, when Aunt Isobel and Uncle Ian were leaving the party to head off on their honeymoon, we all stood outside and threw confetti at them. My sister missed it and she was in tears because she desperately wanted to throw the confetti. She was only five. After my aunt and uncle returned from their trip, we recreated the moment so Sallie could throw the confetti and we did it as they walked out the front door of their farmhouse. What a mess…confetti was blowing everywhere. I wonder if the cows and sheep enjoyed it as much as we did. 🙂

2 thoughts on “Flower Girl!

1. Reading your emails and blogs fills me with excitement and gratitude for the inspiration and opportunities you present our children. I am certain the creativity, skill and passion which you bring to your work, will captivate!